Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Update on the Texas based member of Bham-JK..

I'll put Stella on my prayer list.
    Children are a treasure and we love them so much that it hurts, in a good way.
    Hang in there Mom and Dad. Praying for you guys. BTW. I love your home and acreage.

Makes Their Own Trails smbundy13's Avatar
    Thanks very much everyone. We go to ent Tuesday to figure out our plan.

ok, UPDATES!

two days after her hearing test in dallas, Stella got a double ear infection... probably the worst one she has ever had based on the fact she was crying and pulling at her ears. pretty frustrating but, after getting on a more powerful antibiotic, I think her hearing has cleared up quite a bit. she still has the hearing loss but it seemed like she was hearing clearer.

The ENT dr also said he doesnt think ear infections caused the loss. He said sometimes this type of thing just happens. I think we are going to do some genetic testing on Stella in dallas sometime coming up, just to get more answers.

Stella got her ear molds done Tuesday for her hearing aids. The audiologist really thinks she will pick up speech very quickly. we go this coming Thursday the 11th for her hearing test with the aids and adjustment. everyone is so very excited for that. Dang those hearing aids are expensive! Also got a little frustrated at the insurance company because the hearing aid supplier that is affiliated with our ENT is not in network (of course). I called BCBS and got a list of in network suppliers and everyone said they dont do hearing aids for kids under 4.. so, I called BCBS back and told them we need to work something out. I applied for what they called a PPO Waiver.. to basically put the hearing supplier we want to see in network, since they have pediatric audiologists.

also, it looks like stella will start going to an elementary school here in Tyler that has a hearing impaired class to do speech and signing. according to all dr we have spoken to, she will pick up normal speech quickly once she starts hearing more.

anyways, how about some pictures..

getting ears molded for aids.

playing with the excess ear mold stuff.. (she loves playdoh)

and a funny one.. everyone knows safety first.

thanks everyone.. we will keep yall updated..
    2000 Chevy z71 single cab - my HS/College truck.. saving money
    1980 CJ7 - refurb in progress.
    2013 Ford F150 Platinum Eco-Boost 4x4 - Sold.
    2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon - Silver everything - TRADED

As a hearing aid user myself, hearing aids have gotten COOL lately! Mine are Bluetooth4 capable, and I can/do take phone calls on mine all the time, as well as stream music to them from my iPhone. It will only get better from here, and she'll grow up with access to info that you never had. With better signal processors out there, her hearing will one day surpass that of "natural hearing". Yes, it sucks to wear hearing aids. I got my first/current set after 3 years of my wife having to repeat every other sentence. My hearing loss is (according to my audiologist) due to genetic factors rather than environmental. As your daughter gets older, she will be able to help more with the hearing tests and being able to hear better and better.
    2015 Jeep Willys Wheeler edition Tank Clearcoat

Done-list:Trucklights, 5" Redline Antenna, Smittybilt XRC-Stinger Front Bumper, Smittybilt Gen2 X20 Comp 10k, Factor55 Flatlink, LED cube fogs, CB (Uniden 520xl, Firestick FS2 2' antenna), Drake Off Road Hood Holddowns, JCROffroad Crusader mid width rear bumper, JCROffroad Adventure Tire Carrier, Ham radio (Kenwood TM-D710ga with Offroad Evo A-Pillar LED mount for the antenna mount, Comet CA-2x4SR antenna, usually listening on 146.580, always APRSing WA4WTF-9)

In Progress: Convincing wife that the list below is neeeeeeeeded!

Want-list: Switch-Pro SP-8100, 50" Cree light bar, MetalCloak Fenders, Lockers, 1-tons, Half doors (Mopar? Bestop? SFZ? Either way it's gonna be something with removable top halfs), TrekArmor seat covers... More to be decided.

now the joys of health insurance coverage kick in.. the Hearing Aid provider we are going to is not "in-network".. the nearest place that can provide the same services we are receiving in Tyler is 74.4 miles away. because that number is less than 75, the waiver i applied for is being denied.. so, BCBS of Texas is saying I have to take the day off of work to take my daughter to the doctor 75 miles away everytime she needs something done for her aids. according to the Dr we are working with, that could be at least 20 times within the next year...

so, BCBS is saying, we want you to be fired because we dont care.

so, I am appealing the decision (duh).

stay tuned friends and thanks for your support.

well, as my other thread has alluded to, we are contemplating moving back to bham. we are just missing our friends out in the ham. the decision hasnt been made until a job offer is out there but if there is a job in bham that I can find, we will be heading back east. this has been a tough couple of years with unhappiness with my new job, adding a new baby (now 1 yr old), generally not having any friends.

it will be a difficult decision, moving away from my parents but they will be fully retired within 18 months and will be able to easily visit and what not.

so, if yall hear of any accounting jobs come up, let me know!

oh, still no word on the insurance on my daughter's hearing aids..

update.. Stella got tested for "pendred" syndrome as a cause of her hearing loss. the other parts of that syndrome are thyroid issues.

well, we got the test results and they came back negative! there is a 10% chance that she still has the syndrome and it just didnt show in the genetic testing. we are currently just rolling with what we have right now and just monitor the situation. she is doing excellent with her hearing. she is currently in school that has a deaf ed program. it is a normal school day so that is cool.

still looking into getting a different job but her progress is making it difficult to think about coming back to bama.

Glad to hear she's improving, man. Pretty cool to hear that her school also have a deaf ed program... you don't see that too often.

Gotta make the decision that is best for Stella but I'm sure you already knew that. As much as I enjoy the 'ham I like a steady pay check more than anything as it feeds the family.
    I have a few parts on it but I'm especially proud of that sticker right there.

Quote Originally Posted by numbah1 View Post
    Glad to hear she's improving, man. Pretty cool to hear that her school also have a deaf ed program... you don't see that too often.

Gotta make the decision that is best for Stella but I'm sure you already knew that. As much as I enjoy the 'ham I like a steady pay check more than anything as it feeds the family.
    Thanks Bruce.. yeah we are wrestling with it right now. I am pretty unhappy at work but think we will stick it out for a year or two more to see how things play out.