Thread: ABS/ESP Issue

Trail Rider

ABS/ESP Issue

I've been having a weird problem with my JK. If it's sat for a while (overnight, several hours) the ESP will try to activate when I first take off. The ESP light comes on and it feels like the brakes are being applied. Often all 3 of the lights associated with the stability control will come on and stay for several minutes before going off. It rarely does it when it's only sat for a short time. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

talk to jon at RPM
    2014 JKU
    With a few things added...
    Rodney Nall
    R&D Collision Works
    205-283-4170

When those 3 lights come on it usually means a bad wheel speed sensor or that it's out of alignment, I think.
    Last edited by CameronLaw; 09-12-2017 at 06:22 PM.
    The black and orange Jeep
    IG @ Django_JK
    Brand ambassador for Alien Sunshade

If it is an alignment Firestone offers a lifetime alignment for 179$. Ive used it three times already adjusting my suspension and steering.
    2016 JKU, 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger, 37 13.50r17 Cooper STT Pro, MT Classic 3, Rubicon D44 front and rear, 4.88 gears, stock locker, synergy ball joints, synergy sleeves, artec gussets, artec front and rear track bar mount, artec front lower control arm mount, smitty bilt xrc front bumper, JCR Classic sliders, smittybilt 9.5 winch with synthetic rope

Trail Rider
    Well...I had my tires rotated and balanced and an alignment done. Both were over due and the Jeep's driving better now. Unfortunately, I'm still having the ESP problem. I guess it's time to take it to a professional. This may be a good time to get a 2.5" lift put on. Hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by jjustice76 View Post
    Well...I had my tires rotated and balanced and an alignment done. Both were over due and the Jeep's driving better now. Unfortunately, I'm still having the ESP problem. I guess it's time to take it to a professional. This may be a good time to get a 2.5" lift put on. Hmmmm....
    What year is your Jeep?
    The black and orange Jeep
    IG @ Django_JK
    Brand ambassador for Alien Sunshade

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronlaw View Post
    what year is your jeep?
    2009 jk

Trail Rider
    I finally got this resolved and thought I would update in case anyone else has the problem. The Jeep finally gave an error code that I could read with my FlashCal. It was U1418 - Implausible Wheel Speed. These are for the wheel speed sensor (ABS). U1418 is the passenger side and U1417 is driver. It doesn't specify front or rear unfortunately. I started with the front and it didn't fix the issue, but replacing the rear did. If you get this code, I would suggest starting with the rear if you're uncertain because it can be replaced without removing anything else. (TIP - unplug the sensor and then unbolt it to have removal clearance) The front was more difficult and required that the wheel and brake rotor be removed, but still less than an hour of labor.